Please see below a collection of our gallery images. To view more Click here


About Us

We are called “Lord Street West United Church”.  This is because we are a Local Ecumenical Partnership between the United Reformed and Methodist Churches.  There is a slightly complicated history which has led to this happy arrangement!

The building was opened as West End Congregational Church in 1862.  Over the years members of Chapel Street and Portland Street Congregational Churches were welcomed when their buildings closed.  After restoration work in 1964 the Church became known as Lord Street Congregational Church, later Lord Street West United Reformed Church.

Duke Street Methodist Church had stood on the opposite side of Duke Street to Lord Street West since 1879.  In 1953 the building was sold and the members joined Trinity Methodist Church, further up Duke Street (which had been built in 1864).

When Duke Street Trinity Methodist closed in 1976, the Methodist congregation came to Lord Street West. This became a formal arrangement in September 1978.  Since 1993 we have been known as Lord Street West United Church.  After 30 years of being together we hardly notice that originally people came from different denominations! We are a united congregation who work together, drawing on and valuing aspects of United Reformed, Methodist and other traditions. In early 2009 some members of Hampton Road United Reformed Church began worshipping with us when their own Church building closed.

Over the years our buildings have been modernised and improved thanks to the sacrificial giving of our members, the rental of our buildings to local groups and the income from our Car Park.

In 2012 we celebrated our 150th anniversary and we are aware of the need to try new things to remain relevant to the changing world around us. We welcome your ideas to help us with this.

Over the years our buildings have been modernised and improved thanks to the sacrifical giving of our members, the rental of our buildings to local groups and the income from our car park.

Our location is ideal for those who wish to take a stroll along Lord Street or visit events held in Victoria Park, We have a pay and display car park that is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The Car Park has very reasonable charges.